Victoria Day/Memorial Day = the official start of summer. From this vantage point it always feels the summer stretches on forever. And yet when Labor Day hits, I find myself wondering “where did summer go?”
So, I decided to set some goals that I hope to achieve over the next few months. Writing them here will (hopefully) make me more accountable. In no specific order:
1. I will read 8 books! I already have several lined up. Currently reading “The Help” by Kathryn Stockett. So far, it’s an amazing book. My sister says she will be sad when she’s finished reading it. High praise indeed! Next up is “My Life in France” for my book club. I can’t wait for the dinner that goes with this book selection! I have saved “An Echo In The Bone” by Diana Gabaldon for summer reading. After these 3, we’ll see what drifts across my bedside table!
2. I will resume geocaching! It feels like months since we’ve hunted for treasure…well, actually, it has been months! The close of the NFL season meant that there was less incentive to get out of the house on the weekend! However, I miss it! And I miss my geocaching buddy.
3. I will attempt a new recipe each week to change up the usual fare (read food rut) that I cook regularly. Each recipe will be graded on a scale of 1-10. Anything less than an 8 never gets made again! I’ll share those that attain 8.5 or higher so you can all benefit from my successes!
4. I will go to a beach at least 6 times over the summer. Sadly I won’t be making my annual pilgrimage home to Jack’s Lake and the summer cottage (stupid economy!!!–but that’s a blog entry for another day). In place of the Canadian Shield, I plan to enjoy summer right here in paradise.
5. I will create 2 large or 4 small mosaic art pieces. With pottery on hold for the summer, I want to nurture the creative element that is vital to me. I’m delighted with the mailbox I created last summer. However, this year I think I’ll make something less practical…we’ll see what muse inspires me! Photos will surely follow!
6. My garden will thrive and flourish! AND I vow to rid the world of at least one gopher a week. I’m up to 6 so far–sad to say it’s hardly made a dint in the gopher condo that is our yard! 😦
Well, that’s the start of my summer list. What do you have planned? Let’s make it a great season!